Game Failure and How Satinder Sartaaj helped me to find the solution

That was lot of  non-technical stuff on my calendar, it's time to get back to work. I just looked at my game that i have been developing from few months in actionscript. I cannot believe that I wrote all that code. It's all messy and the worst thing is I am unable to expand it. It's above 1000 lines of code and it all seems worthless to me. I am thinking about starting from the starting again.  Actually the game evolved along with my knowledge of actionscript and nothing was planned as it should be. I am done with level one but frankly speaking it's crap.It is not entertaining or fun to play and without all that I hate it. I am also unable to add more levels to it. So here it ends and I may have to start over again. I also don't know whether I should concentrate on actionscript that I have been working upon for around two years or should I go for the newer HTML5 game development technology.Which is going to cover the major parts of market soon. I also have in plan to learn game development in python and or c++. This time management and number of choices is frightening. I will come back to it later.


Lack of proper planning was culprit for sure.I am now confused whether to explore actionscript more or to move on. There's lots of stuff to do and learn while time is too less. If I have to become a game developer I have to do something during this b.tech and get some internship in a game studio. I don't want to waste my life doing the work I don't like which will be the case if I am unable to come out as game developer after B.Tech. That's depressing, need a little motivation.

 If I look for brighter side, I learned the basics of game development during this actionscript era, but the question is have i attained my aim? No. I can't leave it in between, I have promised Ryan and many others of giving them a game this may.

It's 1735hrs now, i have been thinking on the above stated problem for about 2hrs and I have come to a conclusion. I am going to treat the first level that I have created as separate game and rest of levels as separate game. Will try to fuse them both later. As I earlier noticed there is quite similarity between javascript and actionscript, so shifting from flash to html5 won't be an issue. I will keep learning html5 side by side. C++ and or Python will be looked upon later in semester when I have subjects like Computer Graphics and Algorithm Design And Analysis. Aim is to finish the game this summer. It's all sorted out, thanks to sartaaj for speaking these lines to my ears when I needed them.
                                    " Meri tainu eh slah k mehnta nu hor vi vadha le
                                      fir khur na jayin hun to hi khud nu pakka le

                                    Yaara yojna bana le kite baith ke ikaant vich ikalle
                                    Paa le dholki nu aata,paale panje unglan de vich shalle
                                    Hun der ni dina ch rab sheti hi krayu balle balle"
Who said, punjabi singers cannot help in solving problems related to motivation and even programming and planning. That's nice because I have got a good title for this post, "How Satinder Sartaaj helped me in game developement"

2 comments: